Sunday, July 29, 2007

Who is this Guy Anyway?!

Really, this guy is getting on my nerves. Adam Glassman is O Magazine's creative director, and has established himself as the guy who should be telling we women what we should and should not be caught dead wearing. When it comes to figure-flattering clothing selections, he knows what he's talking about. But when it comes to deciding which of a female's anatomical parts are particularly offensive and inappropriate for public viewing after a certain age, who is he to decide?!
Now, as you know, I'm a huge fan of Oprah and her magazine. I have been a subscriber since the very first issue and avidly read the magazine cover-to-cover every month. Sometimes I disagree with viewpoints posed in some of the articles, but I find myself agreeing more often than not - and am nearly always enlightened and informed.
But Glassman - he's starting to piss me off! Last month, Glassman said women of a certain age shouldn't bare their arms. This month, he says, "Shorts on adult women in general are ghastly". So, according to Glassman, we should apparently be covered head-to-toe, regardless of the weather and/or activity in which we're engaged. Will a burkha be next?!
Look: I am a woman of that certain age. I like to go sleeveless when weather permits (or I'm just too darn hot to do anything else!). And trust me when I say my arms are not of the sculpted variety. I like to wear skirts without stockings. I like to wear shorts with flip-flops. My legs are strong, but they certainly don't belong to a 30-year-old! I am not a slob, but I do like to be comfortable. Fashionable even.
So lay off, Adam. If you don't like the sight of bare arms or legs on a woman of a certain age, turn your head. There are plenty of men who do like it. And more importantly: I like it!
- Grace

1 comment:

Carol said...

You go, Gracie!!

As I type this I'm wearing a cool (and I don't mean stylish) black summer dress that is comfortable, lightweight and flowing. Glassman would probably hate it because it bares my arms and gives my body very little definition.

But I like it and -- you're right -- that's what counts!

Unless we FEEL good we can't LOOK good, no matter how "in style" our wardrobe is!

Carol